The National Science Program "Healthy Foods for a Strong Bio-Economy and Quality of Life" (NNP-FOOD) aims to provide the conditions for fundamental and applied research to create adapted modern models and technologies for producing healthy foods for a strong regional bio-economy and to improve the quality of life of the population of the Republic of Bulgaria.
The priority task of the NAP is to stimulate targeted research and policies in the field of agriculture, food and bio-economy that will help address the three major challenges faced by these sectors today:
- ensuring viable food production in response to their growing global demand;
- ensuring sustainable management of natural resources and climate action;
- balanced development of the bio-economy rural areas and their communities.
The program helps to build capacity and pool resources and knowledge in the priority strands of Food Security, Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry, Marine and Inland Water Research and Bio-Economics within the framework of the European Union Framework Program for Research and Innovation, Horizon 2020 "(Horizon 2020: 9. Food security, sustainable marine and inland water research and bioeconomy) and the future Horizon Europe Program 2021-2027.
NNP - FOODS is a science-based platform for creating analyzes and assessments of the state and prospects for innovative agro-food chains in the context of building and implementing integrated regional strategies for a strong bio-economy, including health.
The program contains 4 components and 12 work packages, which you can see here.
The Agricultural Academy is a Coordinator for the implementation of scientific tasks from the Componet 1 work packages "Climate Change, Ecosystem Services and Food Systems".
The NNP is implemented and managed by the Consortium (see presentation) through a partnership agreement of six partners, universities and research organizations:
• AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY - PLOVDIV (AU) - LEADING PARTNER;
• BULGARIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES (BAS) - PARTNERSHIP ORGANIZATION;
• AGRICULTURAL ACADEMY (SAA) - PARTNERSHIP ORGANIZATION (participating institutes);
• SOFIA UNIVERSITY "ST. KLIMENT OHRIDSKI (SU) - PARTNERSHIP ORGANIZATION;
• UNIVERSITY OF FOOD TECHNOLOGIES - PLOVDIV (UFT) - PARTNERSHIP ORGANIZATION;
• THRACIAN UNIVERSITY - STARA ZAGORA (TU) - PARTNERSHIP ORGANIZATION.
The implementation period of the NNP-FOOD is December 2018 - December 2021.
For more information see: http://www.nnp-food.au-plovdiv.bg/;
Useful information on the implementation of the NNP-FOOD from the structural units of the SAA can be found here