With the law passed on 28.02.2018, the Agricultural Academy becomes a national autonomous budget organization to the Minister of Agriculture, Food and Forestry, which deals with issues related to scientific research, applied, innovation and educational activities in the field of agriculture and food.
In 2008, the Agricultural Academy was re-established as a research, application, service and auxiliary activity in the field of plant growing, livestock and food industry.
With the Law adopted on 28.12.1999, a National Center for Agrarian Sciences (NCAS) was established on the basis of the Agricultural Academy.
In 1982, with the Decree No. 1008/27 April, the Agricultural Academy was again established with the main task of organizing the scientific activities in the field of plant breeding, livestock breeding and veterinary medicine. It consists of 38 research institutes, 35 experimental and complex experimental stations, Kabiyuk agricultural research complex, National Agricultural Museum, Center for Scientific and Technical Information, two development and deployment centers and two central laboratories.
By the Decree of the Council of Ministers № 41 / 23.11.1971 was established Agricultural Academy "G. Dimitrov" (SAA) on the basis of the closed ACN, the Higher Agricultural Institute "G. Dimitrov, Higher Veterinary Medical Institute "G. Pavlov "- Sofia and all other scientific units of ACH in the country. Dimitrov "is a unified scientific-educational complex, combining the training of graduates with higher education, with the functions of an academic scientific institution. By the Decree of the State Council No 1760 / 19.09.1975 of 01.01.1976 the activity of the SAA is suspended.
A Center for Scientific, Technical and Economic Information, a Central Agricultural Library, and an editorial and publishing council are set up at the Academy. A permanent foreign language school is also being organized.
By the Decree of the Council of Ministers No. 169 / 28.08.1961, the Academy of Agricultural Sciences (ACH) was established at the Ministry of Health from 01.09.1961. As a science-methodic center that unites management and finances the research work of all institutions, experimental fields, experimental bases, museums, laboratories, sections, etc. within the boundaries of agriculture and forestry, with headquarters in Sofia. Its main task is to develop agricultural science, to develop basic scientific issues of the agriculture and horticulture and to grant personal rights to society. He directs the breeding, breeding and artificial insemination, organizes the elite and super-lean seed production, develops the problem of mechanization and electrification of agricultural production.
Many experimental stations are growing in research institutes. They are also new, complex in character. Significant successes have been achieved in selection, agro-technology, plant protection, livestock and veterinary science.
In the second half of the 20th century, new guidelines for research on agriculture, as well as new forms of work organization, were developed.
Forestry science develops in the direction of preservation of forest wealth, afforestation of forest crops, mainly on eroded forest territories and low-productive lands.
The Bulgarian breeders create over 100 varieties of different crops for which optimal zoning has been done.During this period there have been significant achievements in the field of plant selection.
In 1924, the Law on Testing Stations and Testing Institutes was adopted. The network of experimental fields is expanding. New experimental stations and research institutes are being set up.
In January 1902 in Pleven began his activity Wine-Wine Experimental Station, founded in 1901 by the French ampelographer Prof. Pierre Vialla.
The first experimental field at the Agricultural School in Sadovo in 1902 grew into an Experimental Station, a work of Konstantin Malkov, a prominent Bulgarian scholar, agronomist and public figure, founder of agricultural science in Bulgaria. From January 8, 1905 until the end of his life - March 4, 1908, he was the head of the station in Sadovo.
In the town of Vratsa In 1896, the first demonstration rebellion, which turned into the Experimental Station in the field of rebellion in 1906, was opened.
In 1887, teacher Nikola Bachvarov created the experimental field at the Agricultural School in Obrazzov Chiflik near Rousse, which grew up in an agricultural experimental station in 1905.
After the Liberation in 1878, the need to restore and prosper an agricultural state led to an intensive spread of agronomic knowledge. Farming schools are founded. The first teachers are agronomists graduating from European universities. Returning to Bulgaria, under the influence of what they saw, they set up small experimental fields for scientific purposes.